Whenever you or your users fill out a form in GoCanvas, you are required to sync your device to upload that Submission to your GoCanvas account. Auto Upload is a new feature design to streamline the experience uploading Submissions. Now you can skip clicking the sync button. With Auto Upload, your reports will upload to GoCanvas automatically when you have coverage (data or wi-fi).
One main item to note is that auto upload will not download any new Reference Data, App updates, workflows or dispatches. If you are notified that new data is available, you must click the Sync button to retrieve that data.
To enable Auto Upload you will find it in the Settings menu:
One thing to note is that you will not have the option to automatically download or view the PDF after you submit when Auto Upload is enabled. This is to allow you to keep working and start filling out another form.
There are some differences between the auto upload functionality on Android and iOS.
- As long as the GoCanvas app is open or in the background, GoCanvas will detect when you have coverage and upload your Submissions automatically.
- If you force close out of GoCanvas, your Submissions will not upload until you re-launch the app.
- iOS has limitations on how long they allow certain apps to function in the "background" (When the app is open but you are actively using a different app). This limit is 180 seconds. Google allows background apps to function all the time in the background. Apple has criteria for apps they allow to function in the background (Such as navigation apps).
- If GoCanvas is in the background, we will attempt to upload your Submissions for as long as the iOS limit allows.
- If the iOS limit has passed, GoCanvas will automatically upload your Submissions the next time you are actively using GoCanvas (It is in the foreground) and you have coverage.