A Submission Name is a very helpful and easy to configure feature that ALL GoCanvas subscribers should use. The Submission Name will show up in two areas and will help you find and identify submissions much faster.
- Submissions area on our website - The Submission Name will replace the Submission ID column that shows up by default. The Submission ID is a unique identifier for your submissions and it is mostly used by us here at GoCanvas to troubleshoot. "Homer and Marge Simpson" is the name of one of my customers and makes this submission much easier to find than the one below it showing the Submission ID!
- History on our mobile application - The History part of the GoCanvas mobile application is where you can view submissions you have made in the past. And here is what it looks like on your mobile device. Again, it is much easier to find the submission you're looking for with a good Submission Name.
How to Create a Submission Name
The Submission Name is created by identifying fields within your GoCanvas App that you want to use to create it. So the naming is dynamic and based on the values your mobile user enter into the fields you identify. In my example above, I'm using a "Customer Name" field that I created. You want to use something that is familiar to you so when you're looking for a submission the name will help you find it. Perhaps a "Project Name" or "Job Site Name" or something along those lines. But you can choose any field or fields you want!
In the App Builder I have selected a field called "Customer Name" (Which I fill with Reference Data so my users don't fat finger it!). Under the "More" settings on the left I have checked the "Submission Name" checkbox.
The value that my mobile users enter into that field will now be my Submission Name!
As a note, you can also place the value in the:
- Email Subject - This is the subject line of the email that is sent out if you decide to email the submission to someone else.
- Email Body - The value can be placed in the body of that same email.
- PDF Filename - The value can be used in the file name of the PDF.
You can check these boxes on MULTIPLE fields if you like. A couple of things to keep in mind:
- The values will show up in the order that they are in your GoCanvas App.
- Don't select too many fields. If there are too many characters in your Submission Name it will get truncated. We recommend using 1 or 2 fields at the most.