You can use this feature when you need to upload lists of products, codes, or other data that is specific to another list in your form.
You can set up these lists by importing comma separated value (also called CSV) files, the Google Sheets integration, or using GoCanvas webservices. This article focuses on the CSV file method but please visit this article to learn more about uploading Reference Data using Google Sheets.
This tutorial will look at selecting a parts list based on a manufacturers list.
Step 1: Creating your Reference Data file
Reference Data files are most easily created using Microsoft Excel. You will then Save As or Save the file as a CSV. CSV is the only file format that GoCanvas will accept.
You'll need to include every possible option available. In this case, that would be every item under each manufacturer. That will result in a file that looks like this (note that Good Manufacturer is repeated, as is Better Manufacturer, etc.):
Step 2: Uploading your Reference Data to GoCanvas
Upload your Reference Data as usual, either within the Form Builder itself or from the Reference Data & Images page.
Step 3: Mapping your Reference Data to your Form Fields
- Find or create the Drop Down field in your form (here it's called Modell) that will list a second list dependent on your first selection.
- If not already open, click to expand the Field Settings.
- In the Reference Data option, select your Reference Data file.
- In the Reference Column option, select the name of the column in the file that contains the data you want your field to access (in this case it's Item).
- For Reference Screen select the screen in your form that contains the determining field. In this example, the Item list is determined by the selection from the Manufacturer list. So the screen that contains the Manufacturer field should be chosen here (in this case, it's the Manufacturer screen).
- Map the Reference Field to the determining field (in this case, back to the manufacturer).
- Click Publish to device to view it in action.
This is what that will look like in the Builder:
Note: By default, your initial field (in this case, Manufacturer), which in the CSV contains multiple instances of the same value (Good Manufacturer, Better Manufacturer, etc.), will be set to remove duplicates. This means you'll only see each one once. If you DO NOT want to remove these duplicates, click the box next to "Show Duplicates."
I'm trying to use this feature in builder right now. Your screen shots don't match the menu options that pop up for me.
For example, under step 3 "Populate with" box does not appear anywhere in my settings for reference data.
Am I missing something?
So in theory, in the example you show above, when you setup the reference data as shown, when you get to the first entry field ("Model") you should get the following choices:
Then, let's say we select "Better Manufacturer", when you get to the next field ("Make") you should get the following choices:
Do I have the logical flow correct?
Please sign in to leave a comment.