When you're using GoCanvas on a steady basis, you tend to end up with a large number of submissions. One of the ways to keep your data organized is to name the submission based on a field in your form.
For example, if you have a customer name that you would like associated with the file, you can add that short text field to the name of the submission.
The submission name will show up in two areas and will help you find and identify submissions quickly:
- Submissions area on the GoCanvas website: The Submission Name will replace the Submission ID column that shows up by default. "Kyle Katarn" is the name of a customer and makes this submission easier to find than the one below it showing the Submission ID.
- Completed on our mobile application: The Completed tab of the GoCanvas application is where you can view submissions you have made in the past. Just like on the web, it is easier to find the submission you're looking for with a descriptive Submission Name.
How to configure Submission Name
Setting this up takes place in the Form Builder. Once you have it open for the appropriate form, follow these steps:
- Click on the field you want to add to the file name (or add a new field if necessary).
- Click on More.
- Find the Place value in... area, and click the box next to Submission Name.
- Save and publish your form.
The next time you make a submission with this form, the Submission Name name will reflect the field you've selected above.
As a note, you can also place the value in the:
- Email Subject: This is the subject line of the email that is sent out if you decide to email the submission to someone else.
- Email Body: The value can be placed in the body of that same email.
- PDF Filename: The value can be used in the file name of the PDF.
You can check these boxes on multiple fields if you like. A couple of things to keep in mind:
- The values will show up in the order that they are in your GoCanvas form
- Don't select too many fields. If there are too many characters in your Submission Name it will get truncated. We recommend using 1 or 2 fields at the most.
- The file name will end with the name of the form.
Note: This functionality is not available for the following field types: image capture, GPS, drawing, payment, web link, long text, signature, checkbox.