By integrating with Google Sheets, you can use your Sheets files as reference data in GoCanvas. Reference Data allows you to auto-fill fields in your forms, which reduces the need to type information on a mobile device and saves your mobile workers time. This also ensures that your users have the most up to date information that you provide them. To learn more about reference data, click here.
In order to use your Google Sheets files as reference data, you will need to authenticate your Google Account with GoCanvas. Your authorized credentials will be kept confidential. GoCanvas will not have access to your Google password. We will only know that you have provided us authorization to have read only access your Google Sheets files and data.
GoCanvas must be provided access to certain data to import your files:
- What data is GoCanvas requesting?
- See and download all your Google Drive files
- View your Google Spreadsheets
- Why is GoCanvas requesting this data?
- Reference data allows you to upload a file such as your customer list, price list, parts, etc. so that you have access to your data when filling out forms in the GoCanvas App. If your files are stored in Google Sheets, GoCanvas must have access to see and download all of your Google Drive files so that we can display the files that can be uploaded to GoCanvas as reference data.
- GoCanvas must have access to view your Google Spreadsheets in order to import the data from your selected spreadsheet into GoCanvas as reference data.
Step 1: Navigate to the Reference Data & Images page. Reference Data from Google Sheets can only be added from this page.
To add reference data, click Add Reference Data
Step 2: Import your Google Sheet by selecting Import from Google Sheets and Next
Step 3: You will need to authorize the import from Google Sheet, select the Google account that you would like to import reference data from, and then click Allow to accept account permission.
Step 4: Select the file that will be you reference data. You'll be able to select any Google Sheets file that has been shared with you. Files up to 20mb are supported.
Note: This integration does work with Team Drives, with some caveats. Google Team Drives do not automatically appear in Sheets. In order for the file to appear as a choice for reference data, you must share the file to yourself from the shared drive. Essentially, any file that you have in your own Sheets account is accessible to this integration, regardless of who originated the file.
Additionally, files from a shared drive will not show the owner when choosing the file.
Also on this page
- Search for a specific file
- Change Account if you cannot find the file you are looking for
Step 5: Select the sheet where the reference data is located. This step is only required if the selected file has multiple sheets.
Step 6: Editing the file name and description is an optional step that we recommend for keeping your files organized.
- Renaming the file in GoCanvas
- DOES NOT change the name in Google Sheets
- DOES NOT impact our ability to refresh data from Google Sheets
- Add a description about the file to appear in GoCanvas
- Divide by User Group
- If the file has more than 15 columns, you will be asked if you want to proceed with the upload of only the first 15 columns or if you want to cancel the upload.
Step 7: After saving, you will see all uploaded files on the Reference Data & Images page. Icons denoting whether the file is from Google Sheets or a CSV file will be visible at the start of each file row.
Step 8: If there are any changes to the Google Sheet, simply click the file name on the Reference Data page, then click Re-Sync Data to automatically update the file in GoCanvas.
Note: If the file name is moved within Google Sheets, the file name in Google Sheets is changed, or authentication with Google Sheets has expired, you may need to reauthorize and reselect the needed file.