A Field Mask requires the user to input text data in a specific format. This might come in handy if you have a zip code field that needs to be a five digit number, or a customer ID that is always two letters followed by a four-digit number. This is a tool form builders and admins can use to guide their users to provide correct responses when a drop down or multi-choice field type is not appropriate.
Activating Field Mask on a Short Text Field
1. Launch the Advanced Form Builder or edit an existing form.
2. Select an existing Short Text field or add one and select the field to open the settings in the left panel.
3. Expand the More field settings tab.
4. Enter the desired field mask.
Types of Field Masks
There eight different types of field masks. Each character requires a different response. Below is a list of the different characters that can be part of a valid field mask and their meanings.
|0: Digit||9: Digit|
|L: Letter||l: Letter|
|A: Digit or Letter||a: Digit or letter|
|?: Digit, letter, space, symbol, etc.|
Wildcard: * is used to signify an undetermined number of characters.
Note: Asterisk is used for "Starts with" (e. g. 000*) or "Ends with" (e.g. *AAA) but only one wildcard character is allowed per mask and it MUST be the first or last character.
Examples of Field Mask in Use
If we setup a field mask on a field of AAA* this means that when responding, the user must enter text that meets the following criteria:
- The response MUST be at least three characters, but can be longer.
- The first three characters in the response must be either numbers or letters, they cannot be left blank or contain any symbols.
Here is a list of VALID response to a mask of AAA*:
- 1R4 7&)/
Here is a list of INVALID responses to a mask of AAA*:
- &78 4
If we setup a Field Mask with 09a? this means that when responding, the user must enter text that meets the following:
- The response MUST be at four characters.
- The first character MUST be a number.
- The second character can be a number or a space.
- The third character can be a number, a letter or a space.
- The fourth character can be anything but MUST exist.
Here is a list of VALID response to a mask of 09a?
- 1 *9) /
Here is a list of INVALID responses to a mask of 09a?