Workflow allows you to collaborate with multiple users on a single Submission. A common use of this functionality is to pass a Submission to another user for approval before it is submitted. We call that transaction a "handoff," and you can have as many handoffs as you need within a single form.
- Navigate to Forms.
- Click on the name of the form you wish to enable Workflow for.
- Under Settings, find Workflow and click the Settings button.
- Then check 'Enable Workflow' box.
Next, you'll be shown the options for Workflow. Here's a list of them and their meanings:
- Which user ‘owns’ the submission? This will determine which user appears in the Submission as the submitter. You have three options:
- Original submitter - This is the user that completes the first handoff in the Workflow.
- Final submitter - This is the user that completes the final handoff in the Workflow causing the Workflow to go to a completed status.
- The submitter of the handoff - This is the user that completes a specific handoff.
- Handoff name - This is the description for this "step" in the work flow. It's used for the status that is displayed on the Workflow page. You'll see it when this step is complete but the whole Workflow hasn't been completed.
- Handoff will occur after screen - Here you choose the screen that signals the handoff. After filling out the screen you choose, the user will be shown the handoff screen to send it to the next person. This can be any screen in the form except the very last screen.
- Next user can edit existing data - This allows the next user to be able to edit the screens already filled out by the initial user. If it's not checked then the data already filled out will be read- only if the next user begins at the beginning of the form. This setting is redundant if the next user begins where the handoff occurs.
- Next user has the option to reject - This gives the user receiving the handoff the ability to reject a submission. They can also write a note along with it to return to the sender. But any data filled out in the form by the user rejecting the submission will be deleted from the submission. This setting is only useful if the next user begins at the beginning of the form.
- User can handoff to - This is a set of options user(s) can hand off a submission to:
- Email list - This a list of users made by you on the Workflow options screen.
- Email field - This can either be a Text or Drop Down field that holds emails. Workflow will pull the email from this field for the handoff.
- Next user begins at - Here you can choose whether the user receiving the handoff will start at the beginning of the form or at the screen where the handoff occurs.
You can add more handoffs for the form by clicking Add Handoff at the bottom of the screen. A new handoff will appear and you will fill out the handoff options for this one as well.
User sending the workflow
After filling out the screens before the selected handoff screen, the user sending the Workflow will come to a screen that looks like this:
All the user has to do is choose an email to send the handoff to and then hit Done.
Until the other user receives the Submission, the form will say there are Submissions to be sent.
Note: The images you've taken for the form will be handed off to the next user with the rest of the data.
User receiving the workflow
To receive your Workflows, follow these steps:
- Synchronize/refresh the mobile GoCanvas Application.
- Once refreshed, the forms that have Workflows to be finished will have a symbol beside them like the one below.
- Click on the form you wish to fill the Workflow out for.
- Select the Workflow you want to continue.
From there you can review or finish the Submission how you would like.
If you are given the option to reject a Submission, the option will appear once you have the Submission opened under the menu. Click the menu button and hit Reject. You will have the choice of writing a reason or comment and then you hit Reject again in the bottom right of the screen. The Submission will be sent back to the user who sent it to you.
Been Using workflow feature for years with success. recently came across something that I need help. maybe I'm not doing it correctly or there is a workaround.
When doing a workflow and not selecting the "Next user can edit existing data" option, the screen will be read-only, we have a "long text" field, which usually it will have a scroll bar if the text is multiple lines. but when the workflow screen is read-only, we cannot use the scroll bar and therefore not read the full text. is there a way to make it work?
Please sign in to leave a comment.