Using our Submission Numbering feature you can have GoCanvas generate unique numbers for all of your submissions. You can set up unique numbering for each GoCanvas App you have or across all GoCanvas Apps in your account. You are able to label that field, configure the formatting, and more. This is perfect for Job Numbers, PO (Purchase Order) Numbers, Work Order Numbers, Ticket Numbers, or any other type of unique number you have on your paper forms.
If you wish to set up Unique Numbering on the App level:
Go to your Apps page and click directly on the name of your app. On the next page, scroll to the "Options" heading and click Submission No.
- Unique Numbering Scope gives you two options: Each User and Current GoCanvas App.
- For the Each User option you will have a unique number from each Submission from each user.
Example: once set up if you have Bob, Tom and Sally all completing Submissions for this app they will each start off at 1 and progress every time they complete a Submission.
- For Current GoCanvas App you will have the numbering increment for each Submission.
Example: if Bob is the first to complete a submission he will be 1, Sally completes the next Submission and that will be 2. Then Tom completes a submission which will be 3.
Once you have your numbering configured click update and your next Submission will include your numbering scheme.
Label: this can be any label you wish to give your numbering which you will see is defaulted to "No."
Submission Number Length: this is where you can set the padding for leading zeros. You will see the example given of 5 which will start your numbering at 00001. *Note – the maximum length is 8
Year, Month and Day Prefix: you can select one or all of these options to be added to the beginning of your numbering scheme
Suffix: you can add any suffix you would like to see at the end of your numbering scheme.
Include in Email: we have given you the option to add your unique numbering scheme to the subject line and body of the email as well as file name of the GoCanvas generated PDF.
- At the bottom of the screen you will see Next Submission Number and the option to reset the submission number. When you click in the check box you will be given the option to select a number that you would like the Submission numbering to start over at. This is handy if you are testing out this functionality and would like to try multiple options before fully going live with your numbering scheme.
- Once you have set the parameters for your unique numbering click Update at the bottom of the screen.
*Note – there is no need to Refresh Apps on your device. Once you update the numbering you are set to go.
Configuring unique submission numbering across all users and applications:
- Login to your account and expand Account in the left navigation.
- Click Customize link.
- Click the Edit button to the right of Submission Numbering.
- Click in the check box Enable Unique Numbering.
- You will now see the options for setting up your unique numbering.
Adding Submission Numbering to the PDF Designer
If you are using the Standard PDF, enabling Submission numbering as described above will automatically add the unique generated number to the top right corner of the Standard PDF. To add Submission numbering to the PDF Designer, go to your Apps page and click the Edit PDF icon.
Open the Elements tab and look for the Submission Number element. Click on the icon and drag the submission number into your PDF Design. You can place the Submission Number element into any section or column in your design. The Submission Number element will retain the settings that you configure when enabling Submission numbering.