GoCanvas gives you the ability to divide or partition your large Reference Data files among your User Groups so that users will only download the data they need. This will improve performance on their mobile devices when synchronizing with our servers.
If your entire file has 60,000 rows or records, but each user only needs a small portion of those, this feature allows you to give each user only what they need.
This works by dividing your Reference Data file into groups based on one of your data columns and then allocating your users into User Groups that align with those groups.
Formatting the Spreadsheet
For a refresher on the basics of formatting a spreadsheet for reference data, refer to the article, How to Properly Format a Google Sheet or CSV File for Reference Data. In order to take it one step further and separate data by User Groups, we must employ aspects of Dependent Reference Data by adding a column for distinguishing what Group will have access to that row of data.
Upload the File
- Navigate to your Reference Data & Images page.
- Click Add Reference Data.
- Choose either CSV or Google Sheets and follow the process to upload for the chosen method.
- Once you get to the final screen, you will see the option to divide reference data among user groups under the Description box.
- Upload your data, click in the checkbox to create User Groups and click Save.
- You will now be given the option to select which column you wish to use as the basis for your User Groups.
- Select your key column, click the checkbox for creating the User Groups and click Save.
- You will now see the options for the User Groups based on the column you selected previously. You will need to add users to the new groups using the + button in the Action column.
- Once you have added your users to the designated groups all you need to do is map the Reference Data in your form and publish to the groups you have created.
For more information on using Reference Data click here.